We are currently working on transitioning Luke from two naps to one. Yes, my 20 month old busy body still requires two naps a day! Luke is napping in the morning for just one hour. We wake him after an hour, otherwise an afternoon nap does not exist. He usually will take another nap from 1:30-3. We have had a few days here and there where he has only taken one nap because of things we have going on, or if he decides to sleep in past 6 a.m, but for the most part he is still taking two naps.
Well, this week I decided I really wanted him to get involved in more activities outside of the home. The only caveat to that is, most activities for toddlers occur in the morning around 9 or 10. So over the past couple of weeks we have tried the transition. I will have to say the first several days, he would only sleep for an hour and a half, wake up super duper happy, then by 4pm he was a train wreck. It was like his body was trained to only sleep for one hour and 30 minutes. We made some tweaks this week, started some morning activities, and so far the past four days have been successful with a 3 hour afternoon nap! There still may be days when he longs for an a.m nap, but I hope we are on to something and that napping from noon to 3pm is a new "schedule" for him. This week a few activities that Luke participated in were story time at Barnes & Noble books on Monday, Tuesday he did Tumble Tots at our gym, Wednesday he went to the Children's museum, and today he went to Wee Read at the Public Library. Luke is going to start going to "school" or a structure playgroup one day a week beginning June, then will go two days a week starting in September. We visited his "school" on Tuesday morning. Ms. A usually does not take kids before two years of age, but when we visited she couldn't get over how social he was with her and all the kids right off the bat. So, she agreed to start him in June. I had some concerns starting him in September because I didn't want too much change taking place all at once with Baby #2 arriving and shipping him off to school. So we all agreed it would be great for him to get his "feet wet" and start Ms. A's school this summer just one day a week. I am excited for Luke, I think he will greatly enjoy the kids and I feel the structure will be so good for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment