How beautiful was this past weekend? It was amazingly wonderful:) We spent the majority of our weekend outdoors taking in the beautiful Fall Iowa weather. The leaves are starting to change, the air is crisp and smells like Fall, I LOVE IT! Saturday we had a great visit from our good friends the Steiners. Sean and Scott went to college together and have remained great friends and now we are enjoying raising our kids together. After Luke woke from his nap, we packed up the three boys, went to a local yogurt shop for an afternoon treat, then ventured out out to Kroul's Farm to pick pumpkins, attempt the corn maze (Luke got scared), checked out all the animals, and rode in the wagon looking for the biggest pumpkin! Sunday we took the boys out to a local apple orchard, Wilson's apple orchard, to pick apples so Sean could put me to work on an apple pie! Unfortunately, they had a very light crop this year and picked all the apples for their store. We took a walk through the orchard just because it was so beautiful and hoped to find at least one or two apples for Luke to put in his basket. We were unsuccessful but he did take a walk through the pumpkin patch. We packed Luke a little lunch and had a picnic after we bought a few goodies from Wilson's store. We bought several different apples, Luke picked out a caramel apple with sprinkles of course, and Sean and I shared their famous apple turnover with cinnamon ice cream. What about Ben? Yes, he joined us and slept the whole while we were out there. It was a beautiful morning for a walk through the apple orchard! That afternoon we took Luke down to the pond in our subdivision to go fishing,he was pretty disappointed he didn't catch a "bish", and we tried to explain to him that he will not always catch one. It was a beautiful weekend for some great outdoor fun!
While our weekend was wonderful, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't share that we had a little meltdown Sunday evening. Ben is wanting to be held quite a bit, especially in the hours of 5pm-7pm, which makes it hard to get much done. So I have been wearing him most days in the baby bjorn which works well, he is content and I can get somethings done, play with Luke, etc. Well, Luke is now wanting "up", sitting on my lap, and rocking with me in the chair when I nurse Ben. Last night it was about Ben's feeding time and Luke was just looking really sad, whining, etc. So we assumed he was sick or tired. But as we asked him questions and paid attention to his behavior we started to realize he was missing his mama's undivided attention. He just wanted to be held so that is just what I did. I asked him if he was sad, and he said "Yes". It broke my heart to pieces. I do feel that Luke has been getting an overabundant amount of attention from all others but me, and I felt so bad for that. With nursing a newborn, that has taken up so much of my time. Go figure that as I was tending to Luke and snuggling him, Ben started screaming and it was feeding time. I just looked at Sean and said, time for Ben to take a bottle. I just couldn't put Luke down. We snuggled, I gave him a bath, and snuggled some more. He feel asleep in my arms at 6:40pm. He was exhausted and I loved my snuggle time with Luke. Sean enjoyed his first bottle with Ben. It may not always be a bed of roses, were going to have meltdowns, but these precious times with our sweet little boys make the meltdowns worth every second.
Lastly, Ben is one month old today and I can NOT believe how fast these past four weeks have gone. It seriously just seems like yesterday when I was going into the hospital...what a blessing this little boy has been to our family. I will post more on the happenings of Ben's first month, but wanted to share this sweet picture of Ben.October 3, 2011






I am thinking of you my friend. It's definitely hard, and you're right - enjoy all the snuggles you can, for Luke, for Ben, and for YOU! What a great mama you are for listening to Luke and letting him express what he's needing. You are doing a fantastic job! XOXO, B
ReplyDelete