Sunday, February 7, 2010

Kalamazoo to Timbuktu

"Here we are in Kalamazoo..."
Our great friends, The Eliuk's, gave Luke this book the day we left. It is one of my favorites to read to Luke and will continue to be, as this special place was where he was born. I have been having a lot of "home sick" feelings for Kalamazoo these days. I miss our friends, neighborhood, our home, and just Kalamazoo! For those of you who know me well, are probably surprised to read this, as the first several months that we lived there, all we talked about was the day we would be able to move back closer to family and many great friends. While we feel very blessed to be closer to our family, especially Luke's grandparents, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't share just how much I miss it. When Sean and I made the decision to move to Kalamazoo, we knew that it would be hard and that eventually in three to five years we would be hoping to move back. This would be the first time both of us were moving that far from family, we didn't know a single soul in Kalamazoo, and I was still "hoping" my job would work out. As it turns out, everything fell into place perfectly. We moved into the most wonderful neighborhood, met GREAT people, my job worked out, and we found a house that we made our first HOME. While there were days that we missed our family and the convenience of being closer, we found ourselves enjoying all the amenities Western Michigan had to offer. When the opportunities for both Sean and I to move back to Iowa presented themselves, we felt so blessed and couldn't believe that we were moving back "home" so soon. Yet, we were loving our life in Kalamazoo! Both of us thought this transition 'back' would be seamless...NOT so much! Now that we have been living in Iowa City for three months, we are still adjusting, searching for a new house to make a home, and finding that network of friends. One of my best friends from college lives here as well, so that has helped me quite a bit! This weekend I have been reminiscing about our short time in Kalamazoo and am so thankful, but miss it so much!
To all our Kalamazoo friends..."We miss you!!!"

1 comment:

  1. We miss you guys so much - every time that I look out a window. Our end of the street will never be the same. I ate at Panera by myself the other day and was so sad!!!! We hope to see you soon. Luke is so adorable. I love all your videos and pictures.

    ReplyDelete