Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mitch.

I am trying to find the words that appropriately fit the title of this blog post, and while they do not come easy, and quite honestly, I can not adequately put into words my thoughts, feelings, and love of my youngest brother Mitch. On Sunday, September 16th, 2012 the Lord called my brother Home. Mitch had made his mark in this life, touched thousands of lives, loved God, served people, and loved endlessly. In Gods plan, Mitch had served his purpose for walking with us these past 26 years. While my family takes comfort in Mitch's "new home" and we trust that he is living a very glorious, happy life, our hurt exists deeply. Our hearts are broken and left with a void that will quite honestly never be filled. Mitch loved life and touched each person he ever encountered. I had a friend just ask me today, "tell me about Mitch I never got a chance to know him." Wow, did I ever feel privileged to describe my brother. The words just flowed, I told stories, I could've talked for hours. While she had never met Mitch she has loved seeing his pictures and could tell by his smile in each picture that he was so lovable. When I try to think of a few words to describe my brother, I can't just think of a few but here it goes...giving, kind, funny, caring, softy, emotions, BIG hugs, smile, laugh until you cry, generous, friend, patient, and mostly, family man. Mitch loved us all so much and we love him. Mitch would choose to hang out with us, not just because he had to, but he loved to. He would never leave without a hug, and I am SO glad he was that way. Sunday evening, September 9th, was the last day our family saw him and he gave each of us a hug. That is just how he was. Mitch took time for everyone, he listened, he gave back, and boy could he make you laugh! His sense of humor is indescribable. I can't forget, when I describe Mitch, Uncle/Godfather, is a key description. Mitch loved his two little nephews more than anything. He saw our boys weekly and he loved to play football, wrestle, farm, you name it. He would get down on the living floor and the boys would just jump all over him. We miss having Uncle Mitch over and we talk about him everyday.  I smile as I try so hard to come up with the right words, but for those of you reading this, that know Mitch, know that my words can not do him justice. There is a song that someone sent to me after Mitch passed, "I was here" by Beyonce'. It truly describes Mitch and how he made his mark, impacted lives of people who hardly new him. I cry as I write this because my heart aches so deeply for him. Our lives will never be the same as our family is broken and we now have a missing link that will never be filled until we meet again. I trust in the Lord that he will bring more smiles and laughter to us, than tears, someday. But right now, we just hurt because we miss him SO much. We miss his voice, we miss his hugs, we miss seeing him, we miss his jokes, we miss his presence, we miss him...
I am humbled to be Mitch's sister. Thousands of people came to pay their respects to our family, hundreds of people sent memorials to fund a scholarship in Mitch's name, hundreds of people have supported our family through meals, farm help, phone calls, visits, and thousands of people have prayed for us. It is your prayers that have kept us going these past four weeks. Without your kind thoughts and prayers, our days would be so dark. I ask that you continue to keep praying for our family, praying for comfort and peace in God's plan. Pray for our family, pray for my parents, brothers, Nate & Debbie, Bryan & Kate, Mitch's girlfriend Kolbi, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and many cousins. We all need prayers for us to find happiness in our days, peace in our aching hearts, and comfort in our lonely days. Our hearts hurt so deeply because we love Mitch so much.
When I think about how Mitch lived his life, I am reminded to cherish time with people, care deeply, listen, be patient, and give of yourself. Mitch did each of these with pure class. Each day I try to honor Mitch by doing something that he would do daily. It might be something as simple as holding someones grocery bag while they struggle to find their keys. Or maybe it is to ask the cashier at the gas station, "how is your day?" and mean it!
One month has passed since you were called Home and there is not a second that has passed where you have not been on my mind. Mitch, you are in our hearts, closer to use than you have ever been, and we will love you always and forever. You have changed our lives forever. I love you Mitch. I am so proud of you, I wanted to tell you that so badly the weekend we were all together, but didn't get a chance and knew I would catch up with you the next weekend. You just never know what tomorrow will bring...Mitch, I am so proud of all your accomplishments. Love you!

The "4 of us" always and forever...
 Uncle Mitch & Luke
July 28, 2012
 Uncle Mitch & Luke at Nate & Debbie's wedding in Seattle
 My "tall" brothers
September  7, 2012
 Kate, Bryan, & Mitch enjoying an Iowa tailgate
September 4, 2010
 Mitch & Kolbi at a college friends wedding in Dubuque
One of my favorite pictures of these two...such beautiful people, inside & out
 Mitch loved the game of football
 So honored to have Mitch as Ben's Godfather
 Mitch & Mom...so happy
 Last year on Mitch's birthday, he & Kolbi came over for dinner
 Luke helping Uncle Mitch blow out his "26" candles
26 forever...
 Mitch loved his Godson and was so proud
When Ben was getting squirrly in my arms at our cousins wedding, Mitch took him and let him torment his face to keep him entertained. He would do anything for anyone...Just to let me eat my dinner.
 Sean & Mitch grew so close these past few years since moving back from Michigan. They spent a lot of time talking sports, doing projects, and he even got Mitch to go fishing with him. Mitch helped us out so much around our house, we have so many memories around our house because he was always willing to help in anyway he could
 The boys birthday party!
I will never forget this day. Mitch texted me that morning to see if we needed help, showed up early to get to work. He even made the baked beans, ha! That was just Mitch, always wanting to help us out. He took so many pictures for me so I could enjoy the day, capturing some great memories. He sat and visited on the deck with my mom& grandparents for hours, and stayed late to clean up. Oh Mitch, these boys are so lucky to have known you. I am so sad they only had a few short years. You are the best!
 Christmas...will never be the same
 Oh boy, you loved to dance! This was your dance-off at Bryan & Kate's wedding. You loved family wedding dances, and we sure had a great time
 Our annual "timed just right" picture at Christmas
This will be hard to swallow...not having you in our pictures. heartache.
 Celebrating Nate's 30th birthday
 Mitch's words "We look like a Christian rock band"
Brothers Forever
Mitch's last day...he had so much fun with his friends
I look at this picture over and over and over
happy that he is so happy, sad that this was his last day

 Our family (minus Debbie) together the weekend before Mitch's accident. Nate had planned to come home for a football game since he hadn't in four years. We originally planned for this upcoming weekend, Oct 20th, however a family friend planned his wedding for this day, so we moved it to September 8th weekend. We all came together, got a babysitter and went out Friday night, tailgated that day, and came back to my house to watch the game, except Nate & Dad. We had so much fun watching the game together. That night we had a bonfire, made smores, told stories, & laughed. Sunday we had breakfast, went to the Vine to watch opening weekend of NFL games, and that evening Mitch, dad, Nate, and Sean went golfing. Mitch hated to golf, but he would always go just to be social and hang out with family. He even broke my driver on his last tee shot...I didn't even care! I will cherish every detail from this weekend forever.

2 comments:

  1. Tears streamed down my face through this entire post. I can't imagine the ache in your hearts.
    We really enjoyed those few times we were with Mitch...the time that sticks out to me is when we all ate at the Wig after the basketball game. Luke kept eating the crayons and the kids were crazy as we waited for our pizza. We laughed that we scared Mitch and Kolbi of ever having kids!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put Tiff. I'll have to give that song a listen. Anything to help the pain. I look forward to seeing the Merrick's on Sunday. Love you. Bryan

    ReplyDelete