A week ago Sunday, I embarked on a challenge I had committed myself to at the start of 2012. I have to admit my motivation for signing up to run a half marathon was to hold myself accountable to run, run to lose the rest of my pregnancy weight. I knew that if I signed myself to run a half marathon I would have to get out and run, no excuses! There was some doubt that I could even run one, which gave me more motivation! I started out running 2 miles on our treadmill at the beginning of January. I took my time picking up my mileage, and by Spring I was loving my weekend runs. Yes, I just said that "I was loving my weekend runs!" I enjoyed getting out in early Spring for some cool, brisk 3-4 mile runs, and by late Spring, I had picked up my mileage and enjoyed "my time". Accomplishing this half marathon felt great on a number of fronts. My training went great, I did all my long runs on Saturday mornings at 5 a.m, loving the quiet, early morning runs. It really was therapeutic in so many ways. My longest run prior to my half was 10 1/2 miles. I felt great during that run and went into the run feeling good with fresh legs. So why was I disappointed? I hit a wall at mile 11 and the last 2.1 miles of my half marathon were grueling. It was disappointing to me because I felt so good going into and I was hoping for a more rewarding finish, rather than painful, ha! It won't keep me from another. I am signed up to run the Medtronic Twin Cities 10 mile run in October.
I have received many questions on my training, etc, and my inspiration to anyone is that I started with a 2 mile walk/jog in January. It took time and motivation, but in the same sense it made me feel good in many ways.
Thank you to my sister in law Kate for agreeing to run this half! I don't think it was ideal for her, as she had already run two this season, but she did and I am so thankful for her guidance and calming my pre race nerves!
Look how much fun it is at mile 6!
Kate eyeing the finish line on a very hot & steamy day! Not ideal for a 13.1 mile run:)
I am so thankful for our biggest fan! My hubby was so supportive during this entire thing. From the day I said I was going to do it, he was my biggest supporter. My training would not have been possible without his support in taking care of the boys and his encouragement on my long runs. I would come home each Saturday to the boys enjoying their "pancakes with Dad"! The weekend of the race, we enjoyed a quiet, relaxing weekend in Chicago which was so nice to enjoy prior to the run on Sunday morning, just the two of us. My parents kept our boys that weekend at the farm and then drove them down so they were waiting for us when we got home Sunday.
Feeling good at Mile 6
"I see the finish line!"
I completed my first half marathon Sunday, July 22nd in Chicago in 1 hour 57 minutes.






Great job! Looks like so much fun! The Des Moines half is a great one, if you want another challenge, it's in October. I'm thinking about running it if you want a friend to run with. ;)
ReplyDeleteBreAnne (Frana) Solem